Trainee Resident Directors Scheme
Every six months, the King's Head Theatre takes on two early career directors as trainees for a part-time, 12 month residency. Find out more about this award winning scheme below.
Trainee Resident Directors Open Day | Thursday 12 December, 1.00pm | Free
The King’s Head Theatre is committed to providing early opportunities to emerging directors at a pivotal time in their career. Our directors programme was created in 1994 and won the Queen’s Jubilee Award in 2002 in recognition of its unique value, for contribution to the arts and pursuit of Excellence, presented by HM Queen Elizabeth II, Lord Attenborough and Richard Eyre.
Every year we take on four trainees for one year on a part-time basis. During their year here, successful applicants will:
- Work on both in-house and visiting companies shows (where possible), with the opportunity to be involved in all elements of production
- Gain valuable experience as an assistant director and an assistant producer
- Take part in weekly skill sessions with leading industry professionals
- Have direct access to our Artistic Director, Executive Director, and Producer with personal mentoring
The programme is suitable for directors at an early stage of their career who can demonstrate a serious commitment to the industry, whom may have directed some small-scale professional shows, or who have extensive, large-scale student drama experience. The Trainee Resident Director scheme at the King's Head Theatre is an educational training programme and is undertaken on an unpaid and voluntary basis. For more information, please contact our Producer Michelle Barnette on [email protected]
Applications for our spring 2020 intake are now open! Please send us a CV and cover letter, explaining why you would be best suited to the course and email it to: [email protected]
Deadline for applications: Sunday 5th January, 11:59pm
All applicants should ensure that they are available for two further rounds on:
- Thursday 9th January for a Skype/Facetime interview
- Tuesday 21st January for a directing session in a Central London location